Web site for the people looking for a job as English teachers

<Get Work Visa>


To teach at an EIKAIWA, you need

Specialist in Humanities Visa.

This visa allows you to work in private institutions and companies.
EIKAIWA falls into this category. It is valid for 1 year or 3 years.

The process of getting a Specialist in Humanities Visa should go as follows:

Step 1: Get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

If you are recruited in your home country, your new employer will provide the paperwork so you can get a Certificate of Eligibility (CEO). Submitting the copies of certain documents to prove your background is often required. This can take up to 8 weeks to process.

According to the MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) , the COE helps speed up the visa process.
In theory, it is possible to get a Work Visa without one, however in practice it’s pretty much mandatory.

Applying for a Work Visa for yourself by yourself at an immigration office is possible in some specific cases, but it is beyond the scope of this article.

Step 2: Visit your local embassy to apply for a visa.

You’ll generally need:
1 Passport
2 Visa Application Form
3 A photograph
4 Certificate of Eligibility
* It’s slightly different if you’re Chinese, Russian or from a NIS country.
* It is recommended to check with your local embassy in advance. Requirements may be slightly different depending on the embassy.

Step 3: Pick up your documents. Now, it is time to enter Japan!

The length of time necessary to process your visa application can vary from case to case. The best way to get a realistic estimate is to ask at your local embassy.
When you pick up your visa, the embassy will give you back your original COE. The Japanese immigration will keep your COE upon entering Japan.
You will get a passport stamp along with your residence card if you arrive at Tokyo (Narita and Haneda Airport), Nagoya (Centrair Airport) or Osaka (Kansai Airport). If you arrive elsewhere the residence card will be posted to you after you complete step 4.

Step 4: Apply for Resident Registration at your local government office

Immigration will keep your COE. Your stamped passport will be returned to you.
Then, you will need to go to your local government office within 14 days to complete the resident registration.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Japan