Web site for the people looking for a job as English teachers

<Get Working Holiday Visa>


Some countries have reciprocal visa relationships with Japan allowing their citizens aged between 18 and 30 (18 and 25 for some countries) to come to Japan on a Working Holiday Visa.
On a Working Holiday Visa you are allowed to work part- or full-time to be able to finance your visit/travel to countries involved in the Working Holiday Program.
The program currently involves citizens of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Republic of Korea, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Taiwan, Republic of Poland, Portugal, Republic of Austria and Slovakia.
In addition to age requirement, you have to have funds to support your initial stay as well as a return ticket or funds to purchase a return ticket.

Step 1: Check if your country is eligible

Working in Japan as an English teacher in an EIKAIWA with a Working Holiday Visa is very common.
Unfortunately, Working Holiday Visas aren't available for all countries. As of July 12, 2016, you can only get them if you're from:

New Zealand
The Republic of Korea
The United Kingdom
Hong Kong
Republic of Poland
Republic of Austria

Step 2: Meet all the other requirements

The requirements change slightly depending on which country you’re from, but generally they’re:

  • Age between 18 – 30 when you apply for Working Holiday Visa
  • Intend to go for a working holiday
  • Have a valid passport
  • Have enough money to buy a return ticket, or already have one
  • Have enough money to support yourself while you’re there (it’s usually at least $2000)
  • Have no criminal record and be healthy
  • Never have applied for a Working Holiday Visa before

The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan has a very informative page about Working Holiday Programs. Check the application procedure of each participating country from this page.

Like people on the Work Visa, you'll also be given a residence card (depending on where you arrive) and will have to go and register yourself at the local municipal office.
The working holiday participants must visit the municipal office where they live and notify the Ministry of Justice about their address within 14 days of finding a place to settle down.
Visit the Immigration Bureau of Japan's website about the details.